Unit 3: Planning and Management of Computing Projects
Definition of a Project
A clear and accurate project definition is critical to the success of a project. The definition process consists of setting clearly defined objectives, determining the key success criteria and evaluating the risks involved. The final outcome should be a Project Definition document, sometimes referred to as a Project Charter.
The Project Definition should include a statement of the business need that the project aims to address and a description of the product, service or other deliverables that will be its output. It can be constructed by asking a series of questions:
- What is the purpose, or project mission, ie the reason for doing the project?
- What are the goals, ie what targets does the project aim to achieve.
- What is the scope of the project, ie how will the organisation gain?
- What are the quality standards and performance criteria?
- What are the measurable objectives of the project?
- What are the key success criteria?
- What are the project deliverables?
- What are the project constraints, eg time, resources, performance criteria?
- What risks are involved?